Thursday, July 21, 2005

Blogging from Amsterdam

Well, I am finally posting now that I'm in Amsterdam. It's been an interesting experience so far. The dutch are a friendly people, and they seem to be fairly chatty. I think the strangest thing is that everyone around me speaks in Dutch and everything is written in Dutch, but when I speak English, everyone speaks pretty articulate English right back at me. It almost feels as if the everyone around me has this secret language they speak except when they talk to me. I find it kind of funny actually. After talking to my boss here in Amsterdam, it sounds like I'm going to be working alot to get my project done here. However, since they lock up the university on the weekends, I should be able to go out and explore Amsterdam on Saturday and Sunday. This weekend I'm going to explore some of central Amsterdam, so expect more pictures next week. Until then, here's a few pictures.

Here is the view from outside my apartment. The view is nice, but as for my apartment... well, lets just say I yearn for the luxuries of my dorm days. (It's a bit rustic)



Here is a picture from the Albert Cuypmarket, which is a big street market in South Amsterdam. You can find alot of good food, or just cheap stuff. Hooray for my 10 euro watch and 7 euro sunglasses.

Here is a picture I took at the Heineken Experience, which is the old Heineken brewery that has now been turned into a kind of beer funhouse/temple.


And here is a random picture I took when I was in the museum district.