Monday, March 07, 2005

Why do scientists fight to keep creationism out of schools?

Because when creationism is allowed to be taught in schools, you get shit like this. I shouldn't be suprised by this, but I was just shocked as read through the "creation science" fair projects from these kids. I think my favorite was the "Women Were Designed For Homemaking" project that won second place in the middle school division. Methinks someone's bitter misogynistic dad is living his dream through his 7th grade son. However,the project "Using Prayer To Microevolve Latent Antibiotic Resistance In Bacteria" is a little more dangerous. In this "experiment", these girls grew two different sets of bacteria, and prayed for one group to have its latent antibiotic genes activated. Apparently these two girls found this caused the group of bacteria they prayed for was significantly more resistant to antibiotics. My own gut instinct tells me that these girls massaged their data into what they wanted it to look like, which is something I saw many times when I was in high school science fairs(yes, I was/am a nerd). In any case,these girls are growing up to be quite the pseudoscientists. I don't blame the kids, I blame the ignorant parents.