Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Laziness and Fat. Mmmmmm... tastes like fat

I haven't posted in a while. To be honest, I've had alot on my plate the last few weeks and just haven't felt the inpiration to post anything. However, I couldn't pass this story up when I read it. Here's the link, and here's the preview...

French scientists have identified a protein receptor that resides in the taste buds and may be responsible for sensing fat. As such, this so-called fatty acid transporter, known as CD36, could be to blame for our love of high-fat foods--and could thus serve as a possible target for treatment of obesity.

If the link bears out, CD36 would allow fat to join the five previously identified tastes that govern the experience of food: bitter, salty, sweet, sour and "umami," or savoriness (like the meaty goodness of soup stock).


I've been telling people this for years. Fat=flavor. Stop buying lean meat people!